Integrated approach to patient care
Shannon is a Functional Rehabilitation and Chronic Pain Specialist. She combines specialized soft tissue techniques with Pilates, clinical exercise, therapeutic movement and postural re-education to provide effective and individualized therapeutic experience that you won’t get anywhere else!
Empowering patients to make positive health change
Optimizing health often requires shifting perspective and cultivating different behaviours. Shannon helps facilitate this process differently. Here’s how:
- Patient Education – Shannon ensures her patients understand their condition and the opportunites available to improve it
- Understanding Her Patient’s Goals -By listening to what health changes are important to her patients, Shannon can help them acheive functional results which are meaningful to them. Therapy is patient focused and highly successful.
- Helps with the HOW -By utilizing various self management and behaviour change tools including ‘Health Change Methodology TM’, Shannon helps her patients identify not only with what changes they need to make, but how to make those changes. She strategizes collabortively to overcome the barriers specific to their health condition, and unique to their personal situation.
Movement for health and happiness
Exercise is medicine! Clinical evidence supports exercise for managing chronic disease, chronic pain and mental health. Prescribing exercise for those with medical concerns is a specialty which requires advanced training. As a Clinical Exercise Physiologist, Shannon offers 1:1 exercise and lifestyle consultations for those with these conditions. She also provides workshops and seminars to school classrooms, in workplace settings and for patient groups.
Helping people find joy in movement and discover health through activity, is the reason she does what she does!
My passion for movement started at a very young age. Here is my story.
My love of dance started very young. I declared myself a ballerina at two years old, and danced competitively until I was 18. My mom believed in providing us with varied athletic opportunities, so I also become a proficient swimmer, could swing a bat like I meant it, and learned how to skate. Thanks to her, I developed not only a love for dance, but a keen interest in many physical activities! Team sports and outdoor pursuits dominated my time as a teen, and I developed a love for rowing and adventure racing after graduating university.
These days career demands and motherhood mean I engage in new physical adventures less often than I’d like, but I maintain a simple goal: to be able to enjoy being active with my family for my entire life.
Unfortunately, being fit and active throughout my entire life has not made me impervious to disrepair.
As is the story for many people, movement has not always felt good for me. After enduring two car accidents, giving birth to my five children and experiencing other sports-related wear and tear, the joy that used to come from moving my body was lost to me.
I found excellent therapists to help me heal. Treatments would include a few therapeutic exercises which were helpful in rehabilitating my injuries, but I found myself craving something more.
I wanted integrated hands-on therapy with a dedicated therapeutic exercise program that could help me completely recover, return to function, and get back to my usual exercise routine and fitness level.
The concept for this company was based on my own inability to find this service anywhere. I decided to create a therapeutic practice approach which would help people feel better, then help them exercise effectively so they could move better.
For me, moving better means enjoying my life more!
My passion is to help you do that too, no matter what stage of your life you are in, the nature of your activity goals, or the limitations you currently face.
Here are the principles which guide my approach to treatment:
- Effective treatment is efficient. It is individualized to your needs, specific to your goals and respects your time and resource limitations.
- No one person can do everything. If what I can offer you isn’t helping, I will point you to someone who can.
- You know your body better than I do. You live in it! As your therapist, I can facilitate your process of feeling better and living better. But this is your body and your journey. You are the pilot. I am just your wingwoman.
- Movement has the power to ignite creativity and to heal body, mind and even spirit. I have witnessed this in my own life. I’d like to help you experience this for yourself.
- Movement should be fun! I believe I can help you find joy in movement too. Whether your goal is performance based or simply to move for the sheer joy of it, I can help you get there.